September 9 - 11 2020
Andrés Lara is now the Executive Pastry Chef at Melissa Coppel’s Chocolate and Pastry School in Las Vegas, but his work experience ranges from incredible places like El Bulli, Noma, the Cacao Barry Chocolate Academies in Montreal and Tokyo and The Park Hyatt Hotel in Chicago.
Some of his most notable mentors include Albert Adrià, Paco Torreblanca, Ramon Morato, Jacquy Pfeiffer, Sebastien Canonne - just to name a few -
Andrés continues to reinvent himself through his food science forward approach to pastry, and his endless pursuit to push the boundaries of flavor.
Melissa Coppel’s entered the world of pastry when she left her home country Colombia in her early 20’s to enroll at the French Pastry School in Chicago, where she graduated from L’ Art de la Patisserie Program. This whetted her appetite for the art of high level pastry. Through sheer determination, Coppel eventually landed in the pastry kitchen of the prestigious L’Atelier de Joël Robuchon in Las vegas, where she honed her pastry skills and soaked up knowledge like a thirsty sponge. She took continuing education classes in any free time she had. Then she took a position in the chocolate room of Caesars Palace Casino, where she spent hours working with chocolate. This was the spark that ignited her love affair with chocolate, and launched her very specialized career. Today, she runs the Melissa Coppel Chocolate and Pastry school in Las Vegas.
Melissa Coppel is a Cacao Barry Ambassador. She was named "Chocolatier of the Year” in 2013, and one of the “Top Ten Chocolatiers in North America” in 2016.
$800* Terms and agreements
The Ultimate Chocolate Shop
When we open a business, our dream is to fill the shelves with the most unique and beautifully hand crafted products… But we forget three very important rules: First, it will be very difficult to make a profit on those super elaborate products because of their labor cost.
Second, most of our customers are not adventurous and they are not looking to expand their repertoire with your unique flavor combinations. They are looking for chocolates that taste like chocolate. For confort items that will bring them to their childhood. And three: Shelf life! Most of the products in our shop should have at least 2 months shelf life.
So this Class will focus on products that will be the money makers of your shop: Loaded Bars inspired by classic desserts, fat based spreads, simple panning items (made using a kitchenmaid attachment) wrapped caramels, and an assortment of indulgent chocolates treats, like our s’mores with homemade vanilla marshmallow and our ultimate rice crispy treat with layers of chewy caramel and crunchy gianduja.
We will be sharing as well smart ideas about how to market and package this products.
- Strawberry Cheesecake Bar: A beautiful combination of Yogurt Chocolate -made from scratch- Graham Crumble and Crunchy Strawberries.
- PB and J Bar: Layers of Peanut Chocolate -made from scratch- Caramelized Peanuts and Crunchy Raspberries.
- Raspberry Rochers: Raspberry Chocolate -made from scratch- with a Vanilla Caramel center and Passion Fruit Gianduja.
- “Nutella” Spread: A creamy spread made of a beautiful combination of hazelnuts and chocolate.
- Gourmand Rice Crispy Teats: Layers of Chewy Rice Crispy Treats, Chewy Caramel and Crunchy Gianduja, all covered in 68% Dark Chocolate.
- S’mores: Fluffy Homemade Vanilla Marshmallow, Homemade Grahams and Bitter Chocolate Ganache, all covered in 68% Dark Chocolate.
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Panning: Crunchy Peanut Butter Cereal, covered in 41% Milk Chocolate and finished with Strawberry Powder.
- Blueberries and Yogurt Panning: Sweet Dried Blueberries covered in 34% White Chocolate and finished with tangy Yogurt Powder.
- Sea Salt Caramels: Chewy Sea salt Caramels, individually wrapped.
- Grown Up Twix Bars: Layers of Buttery Shortbread, Caramel and Salty Pecans, covered in 41% Milk Chocolate
- Snickers Bars: A combination of Homemade Peanut Praliné, Milk Chocolate Ganache and Caramel, all covered in 68% Dark Chocolate
- 8:00 am to 1:00 pm Las Vegas (pacific time zone / USA)
What is included in the tuition fee?
A PDF book with all the recipes.
A digital Diploma that certifies you successfully completed the course.
Only registered students using the email address they provided during registration will be allow to join the Class, so we encourage students not to share their passwords.