September 11 - 16 2023
Melissa Coppel’s enter the world of pastry when she left her home country Colombia in her early 20’s to enroll at the French Pastry School in Chicago, where she graduated from L’ Art de la Patisserie Program. This whetted her appetite for the art of high level pastry. Through sheer determination, Coppel eventually landed in the pastry kitchen of the prestigious L’Atelier de Joël Robuchon in Las vegas, where she honed her pastry skills and soaked up knowledge like a thirsty sponge. She took continuing education classes in any free time she had. Then she took a position in the chocolate room of Caesar’s Palace Casino, where she spent hours working with chocolate. This was the spark that ignited her love affair with chocolate, and launched her very specialized career. Today, she runs the Melissa Coppel Chocolate and Pastry school in Las Vegas.
Melissa Coppel is a Cacao Barry Ambassador. She was named "Chocolatier of the Year” in 2013, and one of the “Top Ten Chocolatiers in North America” in 2016.
If you've always wanted to learn the endless possibilities confectionery and chocolate have to offer, this hands-on class in our School is the perfect option to do so!
This is an incredible opportunity to submerge yourself in the amazing world of chocolate, and learn from Chef Melissa Coppel and some of the best Chocolatiers in the world! Six intense days, and a complete Hands-On program that will cover EVERY topic in chocolate making: From ganache formulation, to glossy and colorful molded bonbons -including vegan ones- enrobed bonbons, American style candy bars, confections, and panning.
This hands-on class is the perfect opportunity to share with like-minded chocolatiers, pastry chefs, and chocolate lovers from all over the world who come to learn from each other and share at our School in Las Vegas! We will finish our amazing week with a beautiful buffet, chocolate testing, diplomas and champagne!
Day one: will be all about Ganache Formulation!
Learn everything about the ingredients we normally use in ganaches: their properties, use, source, emulsification, Aw, and sweetening power, as well as the importance of combining sugars. Then take all this information and learn how to formulate ganache recipes that are well-balanced and with the texture and shelf life you are looking for. The second part of the day will be more hands-on, since you will get to make -alongside Chef Melissa Coppel- all the ganache recipes you formulated earlier that day to start setting your creations in motion.
Day two: will be spent with Chef Melissa doing what she is most well known for: Glossy molded bonbons!Learn first a variety of colorful and intricate spraying techniques, to then produce bonbons with unique fillings like marshmallows, an assortment of ganaches, caramels, pralinés, dujas, compotes, marzipan, etc. Some of the products you ill be making with her are:
- Matcha Passion Ganache & Pistachio Marzipan
- Lemon Pie: Vanilla Marshmallow, Lemon Yogurt Ganache and Pretzel Crust
- Coconut Praliné & Passion Fruit Tonka Ganache
- Tiramisu: Marsala Custard Ganache & Coffee Praliné
- Lychee and Makrut Lime Ganache
- Banana Caramel & Black Truffle Ganache
On day three, Chef Melissa will teach you the art of enrobed bonbons. Not only will you learn six of her signature bonbons such as: “Cookie Dough & Brown Butter Ganache, Chewy Caramel & Sea Salt Caramel Ganache, PB & J, Crunchy Piemonte Gianduja, and THE MOST AMAZING Vanilla Bean Vegan Ganache. You will also learn how to coat them using an enrober with a cooling tunnel – the ultimate chocolatier’s dream setup!
- Orange Blossom Marzipan & Dark Chocolate Ganache | Vegan
- Chewy Caramel & Sea Salt Caramel Ganache
- Raspberry Jelly & Peanut Butter Ganache
- Crunchy Piedmontese Gianduja
- Cookie Dough & Brown Butter Ganache
- Vanilla Bean Ganache
Day four is all about American-style candy bars and panning! Join Chef Coppel as he teaches you how to make the most indulgent versions of all the American classic bars like vegan “Snickers,” “Twix,” “Butterfinger,” and “Milky Way,” as well as a variety of indulgent confections and dragées – all with unique centers – like gooey caramel, marzipan, marshmallow, and caramelized nuts. You will learn how to use shellac as well and Chef Coppel will also provide many ideas on how to package all these great products:
- “Twix” Chewy Caramel & Breton Cookie
- Butterfinger Honeycomb & PB
- Snickers Chewy Caramel & Peanut Nougat
- Yuzu Marzipan & Strawberry Chocolate
- Caramelized Hazelnuts & Croissant Duja
- S’Mores: Marshmallow, Chocolate and Graham Crackers
- Chewy Caramel, Gianduja & Coffee
On day five, Chef Melissa will put a twist on traditional bonbon making and teach you how to make the most indulgent vegan glossy bonbons using natural colors as well as vegan fillings and vegan-flavored couvertures: all made from scratch.
- Piña Colada Chocolate Bars
- Brown Sugar and Oatmeal Chocolate Bars
- Jasmine Ganache and Raspberry Jelly Bonbons
- Pecan Pie Bonbons: Non-Chocolate Pecan Ganache & Pecan Praliné
- Cherry Compote & Pistachio Praliné
- Oreo Praliné
Days Six: you will work with Chef Melissa to create indulgent and versatile confections such as caramels, dragées, marshmallows, candied oranges, and a variety of spreads. These products will be perfect to sell on their own or to add some extra oophm to your bonbons by using them as inclusions, or to your baked goods by using them as frostings or decorations.
- Doors will open at 8:40 am to breakfast
- Class will start 9:00 am daily, and finish around 5:00 pm
What is included in the recipe?
- Homemade breakfast, coffee break and lunch.
- Recipe Book
- Chef’s Apron
- Please wear proper uniform: Long pants, chefs jacket, non slippery shoes.
- Please be on time.
- No video recording, phone calls or texting is allowed during class.
- Class will have a maximum of 14 students.
- All classes are adult 18+ only.
⟶ Practical Info